Current:Home > InvestDrew Barrymore Reverses Decision to Bring Back Talk Show Amid Strikes -FutureFinance
Drew Barrymore Reverses Decision to Bring Back Talk Show Amid Strikes
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-07 05:27:58
The show will no longer go on as scheduled for Drew Barrymore after all.
The Drew Barrymore Show will not premiere this week as previously stated and has been put on pause. The actress announced the news Sept. 17, reserving her decision to bring the program back amid ongoing strikes by the Writers Guild of America (WGA) and SAG-AFTRA. Scores of members and supporters of both unions picketed her series last week after it began taping a new episode, while many took to social media to criticize Barrymore over her choice to resume production.
"I have listened to everyone and I am making the decision to pause the show's premiere until the strike is over," Barrymore wrote on Instagram Sept. 17. "I have no words to express my deepest apologies to anyone I have hurt and, of course, to our incredible team who works on the show and has made it what it is today. We really tried to find out way forward. And I truly hope for a resolution for the entire industry very soon."
The talk show host's statement received a largely positive response, including from the Writers Guild of America, East. The union commented, "Thank you Drew" and also shared her post on their own page.
CBS Media Ventures, which distributes The Drew Barrymore Show, told The New York Times in Sept. 17 statement that the company supported the actress' decision and understood "how complex and difficult this process has been for her."
Meanwhile, reruns of The Drew Barrymore Show will air for the foreseeable future, a person with knowledge of the matter told Variety, while episodes that were taped last week when the show went back into production will not be broadcast.
The WGA went on strike in May after failed negotiations with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP). Actor's union SAG-AFTRA joined them on the picket lines two months later. On Sept. 10, Barrymore wrote on social media that her daytime talk show will return for season four Sept. 18, noting that the program be in "compliance with not discussing or promoting film and television that is struck of any kind."
The WGA spoke out against the decision. "The @DrewBarrymoreTV Show is a WGA covered, struck show that is planning to return without its writers," the union tweeted the same day. "The Guild has, and will continue to, picket struck shows that are in production during the strike. Any writing on "The Drew Barrymore Show" is in violation of WGA strike rules."
In addition to picketing and social media backlash, Barrymore's decision also spurred the National Book Awards to rescind her invitation to host its upcoming annual award ceremony.
On Sept. 15, Barrymore posted and later, following more social media criticism, deleted an emotional video statement to Instagram, in which she stated she was standing behind her decision to return to her talk show. "I wanted to own a decision so it wasn't a PR-protected situation and I would just take full responsibility for my actions," she said. "I know there is just nothing I can do that will make this OK to those that it is not OK with. I fully accept that. I fully understand that."
She added, "I deeply apologize to writers. I deeply apologize to unions."
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (669)
Related
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Could Nebraska lawmakers seek winner-take-all elections in a special session to address taxes?
- Could Nebraska lawmakers seek winner-take-all elections in a special session to address taxes?
- Notre Dame swimming should be celebrating. But an investigation into culture concerns changes things
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Heading to the beach or pool? Here's what you need to know about sunscreen and tanning.
- Kansas City Chiefs join forces with Hallmark for Christmas rom-com 'Holiday Touchdown'
- What is the federal law at the center of the Supreme Court’s latest abortion case?
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Mega Millions winning numbers for June 25 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $97 million
Ranking
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Supreme Court halts enforcement of the EPA’s plan to limit downwind pollution from power plants
- Who will make US gymnastics team at Olympic trials? Simone, Suni Lee and what to watch
- 8 arrested men with ties to ISIS feared to have been plotting potential terrorist attack in U.S., sources said
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Coach Outlet's 4th of July 2024 Sale: Score Up to 70% Off These Firecracker Deals
- Man who killed 2 Connecticut officers likely fueled by a prior interaction with police, report says
- 'She nearly made it out': Police find body believed to be missing San Diego hiker
Recommendation
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
Caitlin Clark, Patrick Mahomes and More Score ESPYS 2024 Nominations: See the Complete List
Judge receives ethics fine after endorsing a primary candidate at a Harris County press conference
Video shows iconic home on Rapidan Dam partially collapsing into Blue Earth River in southern Minnesota
A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
More than a hundred Haitian migrants arrived in a sailboat off the Florida Keys
2 killed at a Dallas-area fast food restaurant in shooting police say was targeted
Angel Reese is a throwback to hardcore players like Dennis Rodman. That's a compliment.